by Michael Naylor - Performance Nutritionist - View Comments
The Oriental Beef stir-fry is a perfect replacement for the Chinese take-away. The meal is stacked with protein (for recovery and rebuilding of muscle tissue), iron and B vitamins (for the delivery of energy to muscle tissue) and antioxidants (to boost immunity and health) with a great oriental taste!
The meal can be used as either a nutritious evening meal or lunch. Furthermore, the meal is ideal for the busy athlete, as it only takes 15 - 20 minutes and can be cooked in bulk for future meals.
To enhance the carbohydrate content of the meal add ½ - 2 cups of rice or noodles.
- 2 tsp of vegetable oil
- 400g lean beef steak
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic (crushed)
- 2 yellow or red peppers (deseeded and sliced)
- 200g broccoli
- 4 spring onions (sliced)
- 2 pak choi (bok choy) (sliced)
- 200g water chestnuts (drained and sliced)
- 4 tbsp of oyster sauce
Each serving contains
- Energy (kcal) - 276
- Carbohydrates - 18.6g
- Protein - 23.4g
- Fat - 12.8 (4.2g saturated)
Serves: 2 – 4
Preparation time: 10-minutes
Cooking time: 7-minutes
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan or work and add the steak, cut into thin strips.
- Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes to seal, then add the garlic, peppers, broccoli florets and spring onions, along with 2 tbsp of water.
- Stir-fry for 3 minutes, and then add the pak choi, water chestnuts and oyster sauce. Allow to heat through thoroughly and serve immediately with some plain boiled rice or noodles
(Adapted from Tesco-healthy Eating, 2009)blog comments powered by Disqus